Nuggets of Gold

Saturday, September 20, 2014


"Wonder Working God" by Jared C. Wilson is a book to read slowly. If you're like me, you'll find yourself reading a chapter or two at a time and then spending several days going back over the key points.

Wilson is an excellent theologian. I have enjoyed reading his articles on the internet for quite some time, but this is my first time reading one of his books. He tends to be very true to the text so I was disappointed and surprised when I came across sections where he embellished Scripture by filling in the blanks and talking about what else MIGHT have been going on. I find it extremely unhelpful when people handle God's Word this way. Another thing that kept stopping me in my tracks were the places where Wilson used what I would describe as "juvenile" phrases to make a certain point. I'm sure many would find his style relatable, but I had to work very hard to get past it.

HOWEVER, every single time I would decide that this book just didn't pass muster, he would come right back around and share an application of Biblical truth that was spot on. I'd find myself highlighting a sentence or paragraph and making a note so that I can return to it later.

I have come to the conclusion that while this book did not meet my expectations or unpack the miracles of Jesus in a way that was particularly unique, it is not a book we should dismiss. Pick up your copy HERE and get ready to see how Jesus' miracles fit into God's big picture. You might even discover that many of them contain convicting lessons that will bring you to your knees.

Mr. Wilson, thank you for studying God's Word, taking the time to share what you've learned, and for being dedicated to the glory of our great God!

 * I was provided with a review copy of this book by Crossway. All thoughts are my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about authors "filling in the blanks" when it comes to certain sections of the bible. Not particularly helpful. Good for you for sticking with the book, and being able to distinguish the good from the "not as much."

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)