What I Learned In July 2015

Monday, August 17, 2015

July 6, 2015

* How to process leeks (and make Leek Soup). Jerry and Kay gave me a bunch of leeks from their garden and sent along a recipe to go with them. After a little help from the internet, I learned all about which part of the leek you use (the light green part of the stalk and also the bulb) and how to clean them (rinsing well, cutting in half, and soaking water for a bit).

* Blogger comments can only be 4,096 words long. Since Jessica took the time to answer all of these questions, I took the time to comment on every one of them! Needless to say, I ended up e-mailing her instead! 

* Geocaching makes for some great stories. I don't make this stuff up.

* The Korean War started in 1950. I've heard about this war. I've met people that served in it (one even took a wife who now goes by "Maria from Korea"). Somehow, it's always been pretty hazy in my mind. Now I know when it began (and was SHOCKED that it followed so closely after WWII), but I still have no idea what it was about.

* Summer vacation is worth waiting for. My brother and sister were in school for most of July this year. Our summer may have been cut a little short, but we made the most of it!!! (They started back up with Algebra last Thursday.) My sister and I got through a large chunk of "The Help" (and raced through other books on our own - she won), my brother and I went for bike rides, we made ice cream, we stayed up late watching movies, they got in a fair amount of boating with our Dad, and they had plenty of pool days with their friends. The slowness and spontaneity will continue until their full course load begins and that's what summer vacation is alllll about.


What did you learn in July? 

3 comments:

  1. You seem to be having the best summer :) I learned in July that you can never be prepared enough for a move (things WILL go wrong!) and that's about it haha. I'm so glad that July is over for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try Leek soup soooo badly!! Did you like it? I bet having them fresh from the garden made it even better. And was the recipe difficult?

    Haha, I'm so glad you e-mailed me your responses. I enjoyed reading them and I feel like I got to know you so much better through it. Blogger is lame-don't they know sometimes you have more than 4,096 things to say?

    I really want to try the whole geocaching thing. I keep saying that but not doing it...one of these days.

    I've never really thought about it, and I feel horrible saying that, but the Korean War is totally fuzzy to me too. I don't know anything about it. I feel a google search coming on after this comment...

    I agree-Summer is totally about slowness and spontaneity. It's my favorite part of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that blogger comments could only be so long. I feel like I've written some pretty lengthy ones here and there so I'm surprised that hasn't caught me before, haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)