A Taste of My Own Medicine

Monday, November 16, 2015



This is one of those posts that has absolutely no good place to begin. I think I MIGHT be coming down with the first bout of whatever goes around every year at the beginning of winter, so I'm sitting at home with ^ that mug of "sick tea" ^ and four straight hours of alone time ahead of me.

I've been telling everyone about this tea of mine over the last few months. My cousin Theo had a sore throat (which I'm pretty sure I caught) and I told him about it back in September. The other day I was texting with my friend Amber only to find out that she's got one now too. Here's what I do: one cup PIPING hot Lipton black tea, one teaspoon honey, one teaspoon lemon juice (I use ReaLemon's bottled version). It's basically a hot Arnold Palmer, but it takes some getting used to. I save them for when I'm sick or feeling like I'm on my way to sick.

Needless to say, I'm there. Yesterday I took not one but TWO naps (I almost NEVER nap). I've been beyond tired and there is absolutely no reason for it. I've been worrying and trudging along and working REALLY hard to finally finish the very last thing I need in order to be able to say that I have graduated from college.

I'm overwhelmed by God's grace and the gift He gives us in each other.

Ever since we came to The Queen's Cottage back in August, we've been attending a church. It has come to feel like HOME. For some reason, I find myself holding my breath. I'm so confused about how long this town will be "home" and a little mad at myself for not wanting it to be.

Everywhere I turn, I've been seeing reminders of God's grace. Kevin and Joan made sure we knew that we are welcome and have been true friends to us in this season. They don't ask questions, they just embrace us. Esther stepped up to the plate to help me with this speech and has devoted countless hours to meet with me. The handful of 20 somethings that I've met have caused me to go out of my way to make new friends.

And then there are the words...Hearing the Bible read out loud week after week, receiving prayers that have been carefully constructed, and preaching that lays out who God is and what He is up to have been SUCH a treat. When I scroll through facebook or click on an interesting article or open my own Bible, I keep finding declarations of my need for and God's abundant gift of GRACE.

My body might be under the weather, but my soul is flourishing. My flesh might be worried and afraid and forgetful, but my spirit is being ministered to by the Helper that Christ promised to me.

Maybe that's where you are this season...Maybe life is confusing. Maybe you're longing for a Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years filled with ALL of your loved ones gathered around you. Maybe you've been blessed with MUCH, but find yourself longing for something else.

Won't you join me in tasting the medicine?

"For the LORD your God is a merciful God." Deuteronomy 4:33 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, He is! I hope you feel better soon and this is not the beginning of something worse. Nip it in the bud as Barney Fife would say. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's where I am right now! Live is confusing, and I'm longing for my family and home and comfort. (I'll have it all I want starting this coming weekend!)

    Keep drinking your tea! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like the right kind of tea for the season you're in.
    i hope that the sickness has past - and that you're on the mend.
    mentally - it sounds like that will take some time, and spiritually God is providing and pushing you closer to him.
    <3 hugs sweet friend.

    i've been so absent and not catching up that i truly have no idea what is going on with you (A MOVE?!)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)