More Than A Mystery

Saturday, January 30, 2016


Detective novels are my favorite. They belong to a genre that always keeps readers on their toes. If you can find a good author, then every new release means another book gets added to your reading list. Irene Hannon is one of those authors that I keep tabs on. Her stories always draw me in. I'm someone that finds it pretty easy to walk away from a book even if I'm enjoying it immensely. Hannon gets the better of me. I almost always finish her books in just three or four sittings.

When I'm reading Hannon, I might sit on the kitchen floor to read a few more pages while a pot of pasta simmers on the stove or while a tray of cookies comes to life in the oven. When I'm reading Hannon, I know I'm in for a treat.

That's exactly how things went when I picked up my review copy of her latest novel, "Thin Ice". This book happens to be the second in her Men of Valor series. A woman named Christy Reed takes the center stage in this thriller that is just spooky enough to keep you on the edge of your seat.


In typical mystery fashion, this is a race against the clock. Readers will find themselves wrapped up in staying one step ahead of the plot by paying careful attention to the information Hannon allows them to access.

Without giving away any spoilers I'll tell you that "Thin Ice" involves an abduction and one person's attempts at seeking revenge. Christy needs to examine the past before she can ever get on with the future. As you might have guessed from the cover, ice skating plays a brief role in the plot, but not so much that non-skaters like me would get bored with the details.

While there are a few cliches here and there that Christian fiction can't seem to escape from, there are also a few moments that will stop you in your tracks. In fact, I folded three particular pages over so that I could come back to them. What I'm trying to say is that Hannon gives you a mystery, but she also gives you characters who are learning lessons and overcoming obstacles that we can all relate to.

Pick up your copy here.




*I received a review copy from the publisher and all thoughts are my own honest opinion.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read! I enjoy mysteries, but I seem to be drawn to period mysteries more than modern ones. I need to read a modern mystery to mix things up a bit! What is your absolute favorite mystery novel??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)