What I Learned in January 2016

Sunday, January 31, 2016


It's the last Sunday in January. I've got a pot of chili simmering on the stove and I just removed a batch of cornbread muffins from the oven. Before we end the weekend, I wanted to take some time to join Emily in reflecting on what I learned in January. I learned...


1. To thank God for everything. I wrote about it several weeks ago and I've continued to learn about it all month long. It's never uncalled for. Say it out loud. He loves to hear it and you'll grow to love saying it.

2. That I prefer front load washers as opposed to top loaders. As much as I love being able to add clothes to the wash cycle after the water is done pouring in, that convenience isn't worth the beating that the agitator gives to clothes in top loaders.

3. That Psalm 23 is an explanation of Jesus' relationship with the Father. Maybe you already knew this, but I didn't until our pastor preached on it this month. Jesus Christ received all from the Father just as sheep receive (and expect to receive and lie in wait) from the shepherd.

4. To give being an expositional listener a try. This idea came from chapter one of Thabiti Anyabwile's book "What Is a Healthy Church Member?" .  I've got got a list of about 6 goals related to this task.

5. That command + v = paste. I'm not one for keyboard shortcuts, but that one has come in HANDY this month. Are there any that you use regularly?

6. So many things about Emily Dickinson that make me love her even more. She loved: her friends, Mount Vernon and George Washington, gardening, walks, New England, and writing. She was afraid of being alone to the point of not even being able to sleep with the window open when her sister traveled. This list of things to like about her is always growing.

7. That E.B. White was born in Mount Vernon, NY on July 11, 1899. I think of E.B. White often and keep a book two books of his essays back for reading when I need a boost. Coming across this tidbit unexpectedly in a book I happened to be reading this afternoon was a nice piece of trivia. You'd think I would know when one of my favorite writers was born, but I didn't until just a few hours ago.

What did you learn this month?



1 comment:

  1. I think living life full of gratitude really changes us so much! I think it's so good to thank God for everything! :)

    Control V, Control X, and Control Z are my favs!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)